Hi

This obvious fact from hot air balloons and rising smoke is also the case in
constant volume. Just do the math if you can't see what I mean.

Imagine a ball on lying at rest in a box. This is equivalent of a cold gas.
All pressure from the ball is on the bottom of the box. The weight of the
ball is just added to the box. Now let the ball do very fast bounces up and
down. The box will not weigh as much as before because the ball is also
bouncing on the ceiling of the box with almost as strong impulse as it is
bouncing on the bottom. The box + ball weighs less. The faster the ball
moves the less time it spends between bounces and the less can it's speed
change. Speed change is time multiplied with gravitational acceleration and
the faster it moves the less the speed can increase and decrease between the
bounces.

The same must be the case for a gas. Gas is just a collection of small
balls. The same must be the case if the box is removed and the gas molecules
bounce against each other. Right?

I have written before about this on the Internet but only for tangential
motion but today I realized it must also be the case for vertical motion. In
tangential motion the centrifugal acceleration  increases and thus makes
balls as well as gas molecules appear as having less weight.

>From the garden of the Stockholm Observatory,
David

David Jonsson, Sweden, phone callto:+46703000370