I met Thane in 2008 in the an undergraduate lab of the facaulty of engineering
University of Ottawa. He was granted the lab space by a generous
electrical engineering professor. (The professor's and/or the University's
generousity ran out in 2010). I and some members of the Ottawa Skeptic Society
were present for a demonstration, and the Skeptics reported their findings
here:

http://www.ottawaskeptics.org/local-investigations/121-in-this-town-we-obey-the-laws-of-thermodynamics

I found the skeptics group dismissal of the acceleration surprising so I posted
a critical comment on their page.

The devices he presents on all his videos are complex, but he did show us very
simple device, consisting one induction motor with a long cylindrical steel
rotor shaft. (The shaft extended atleast one motor length beyond the motor)

The motor was secured to block of wood. Near the end of the rotor shaft was a
small cylindrical neodyium magnet glued to pivot which was fastened to the same
block of wood. The pivot let him move the magnet so the face of the magnet was
almost touching the flat end of the rotor shaft. He would first turn on the
motor and get it up to speed, and then swing the magnet into the arrangenment I
just described whereupon the motor would begin to accelerate. You could here
the acceleration and see the rpm readings increasing. He allowed the
acceleration to continue until he became worried the  motor might be burn out,
at which point he turned the magnet away from the rotor.

At the link above you will also see the opinion of professor Zahn from MIT:

"Dear Thane:

It seems to me that before you give more high level demonstrations, that you
need to do more homework on your induction motor speed up due to the presence
of a strong permanent magnet.  As I and others have stated, the effect is most
likely due to the magnetic hysteresis of the iron material that gets shifted by
the permanent magnet to a new DC operating point.  If not already done I also
think you need to do some careful performance measurements such as measuring
shaft speed and terminal current magnitude and phase with and without the
presence of the permanent magnet as a function of line voltage.  You should
also measure the magnetic hysteresis curve with and without a permanent magnet
present of your simplest motor configuration that you demonstrated to me.  This
is not difficult to do.  I attach a video entitled "Measurement of B-H
Characteristic" that shows how this can be done with an oscilloscope, two
resistors and a capacitor.   It
 can also be done with an integrating op-amp circuit. The attached text
materials from the book by Haus and Melcher entitled Electromagnetic Fields and
Energy also describe the measurement method and theory.   In any measurements
you should also measure the true electrical power in from your outlet power
(voltage, current, and phase angle) as well as shaft power (torque and speed).

Any talk of perpetual motion, over unity efficiency, etc. discredits you, now
me, and your ideas.  I would not want to go to NASA or anywhere else to help
promote your invention until basic testing and measurements are done so that
the cause of shaft speed up due to a permanent magnet is understood and that
the foolishness is stopped of hinting that your motor violates fundamental laws
of physics.

Best of luck to you,
Markus Zahn"

Why doesn't this professor say "This is fascinating! I am going to repeat
this experiment and make my own measurements" ?  Surely it is worth
investigating the effect even if it turns out not to violate any laws of
physics.

Harry