This seems to me, an unqualified, careful scientific layman, to be
reasonable, simple theory, citing recent experiments:

"Recent experiments on fusion of elements on accelerators

For atom-atom collisions the expression of the probability of
penetration through a Coulomb barrier for bare nuclei should be
modified, because atomic electrons screen the repulsion effect of
nuclear charge.
Such a modification for the isolated atom collisions has been
performed in H.J. Assenbaum and others [6] using static
Born-Oppenheimer approximation.

The experimental results that shed further light on this problem were
obtained in relatively recent works C. Rolfs [7] and K. Czerski [8].

Review of earlier studies on this subject is contained in the work of
L. Bogdanova [9].

In these studies a somewhat unusual phenomenon was observed:
the sub-barrier fusion cross sections of elements depend strongly on
the physical state of the matter in which these processes are taking
place.

Figure 1 (left) shows the experimental data [8], demonstrating the
dependence of the astrophysical factor S(E) for the fusion of elements
of sub-threshold nuclear reaction on the aggregate state of the matter
that contains the target nucleus 7Li.

The same figure (right) presents similar data [7] for the DD reaction,
when the target nucleus was embedded in a zirconium crystal.

It must be noted that the physical nature of the phenomenon of
increasing cross synthesis of elements in the case where this process
occurs in the conductor crystal lattice is still not completely
clear...."

7. C. Rolfs,
“Enhanced Electron Screening in Metals: A Plasma of the Poor Man”,
Nuclear Physics News, Vol. 16, No. 2, 2006.

8. A. Huke, K. Czerski, P. Heide, G. Ruprecht, N. Targosz, and W. Zebrowski,
“Enhancement of deuteron-fusion reactions in metals and experimental
implications”,
PHYSICAL REVIEW C 78, 015803 (2008.

9. L.N. Bogdanova,
Proceedings of International Conference on Muon Catalyzed Fusion and
Related Topics,
Dubna, June 18–21, 2007,
published by JINR, E4, 15-2008-70, p. 285-293.

Can these papers be shared in full or in part?

within mutual service, Rich Murray
rmfor...@gmail.com  505-819-7388  rich.murray11 Skype audio, video