See:

http://www.slate.com/id/2303250/

Photos of early personal computers:

http://www.computerhistory.org/revolution/personal-computers/17/intro

When a technology is just getting started, product designers do not know
what the machines should look like. They do not understand what the customer
wants, what works well, what is necessary and what can be dispensed with.
Later, as the technology matures, products from many different manufacturers
look more and more alike. Early typewriters and computers all look different
from one another. Nowadays you can barely tell computers apart.

I discussed this in chapter 7 of my book. Page 62 has a marvelous
illustration of a future personal portable computer designed by a committee
in 1981. The committee members had few practical ideas ideas about how
computers should look what they should do. I can tell what they were
thinking because this illustration comes from the transcript of the informal
discussion they held, published in the Japanese edition of Scientific
American. It is symptomatic of early machines that the designers don't know
what it is they're trying to accomplish because they have no experience
using the machines. It is not their fault. They tend to go overboard and
throw in all sorts of features that are not called for. Early technology
sometimes is more elaborate than later versions.This also happens because of
what Frederick Brooks calls "the second system effect" (see The Mythical Man
Month, chapter 5).

As the technology matures, product designs tend to merge, and products begin
to look alike. in some cases this happens quickly and deliberately because
of government regulations, or because of industry standards. In the 1950s
some U.S. automobiles had decorative fins and protrusions on the front
bumper that many people thought resembled breasts. See:

http://www.art.com/products/p13804728-sa-i2758790/bill-bachmann-detail-of-classic-car-57-chevy.htm

These sharp objects and bumps injured people in accidents, especially
pedestrians, so they were banned in the 1960s. Later, government fuel
efficiency standards forced all cars to have rounded, aerodynamic shapes. In
the 1980s, the need for industry standards and software compatibility
quickly forced all computers to be IBM PC compatible, except for Apple
computers.

If cold fusion devices go into commercial production, in the early days of
the technology I expect to see large variations such as:

Internally, the type and morphology of the metal or powder, the operating
temperature and other technical details.

The size and shape of the machines.

The look and feel of the computer controls. This will resemble the variation
among thermostats from different HVAC manufacturers, or the dashboards of
different automobiles.

The type of conversion from heat to electricity; micro-turbines,
thermoelectric devices, Stirling engines, possibly small piston steam
engines, various different working fluids.

Hydrogen stored in conventional pressure tanks versus hydrogen produced on
demand with electrolysis.

These differences will quickly be winnowed into a few basic designs for
different market sectors. This will proceed more rapidly than it did for
automobiles or personal computers because -- as I said in chapter 14 -- no
one cares what a water heater looks like. People do not look at power
generation equipment or heaters. Such equipment does not have features that
most customers care about. The only two parameters that the customer looks
for are reliability and low cost. There is such thing as customer loyalty to
one particular design, or design appeal, as there is with things such as Mac
computers or sports cars. So, market forces will all quickly winnow out all
but the most cost-effective designs.