From: Stephen A. Lawrence <sa...@pobox.com>

OK, you have just argued that the spring cannot add to the energy loses from
induction, so now consider the system with spring.

"Free work" means the work done in compressing the spring is greater than the
energy lost during the process of induction. I can imagine it will take less
work if you choose wires with the wrong electrical properties. However, except
for an invocation of CoE, I see nothing which tells me that the work done in
compressing
spring cannot exceed the energy loses from induction.
Harry