I think the reason for easy confusion is that "kWh" is not a term that the lay
person normally deals with.
1 KWh, or 1 kilowatt-hour, does not indicate 1 kilowatt per hour, but
represents 1 kilowatt over a span of 1 hour.
Hence, 500 watts for two hours = 1 kWh.

The layperson inherently links kWh as kilowatts per hour.