If the "law of inertia" is universally true, some sort of centripetal
force is required to keep the disc revolving in a circle as it moves
above the magnets. I can vaguely grasp how the phenomena of locking
preserves the tilt of the disc, but how does locking bring about the
necessary centripetal force?

Harry