On Oct 18, 2011, at 9:55 PM, David Roberson wrote:

Hello Frank,

You have an impressive understanding of the flux pinning theory. Can you give me an answer to my question? It appears that energy can be put into the floating disk-magnet combination by pushing or pulling against the disk. Where does the energy show up in the system? Does the disk heat up a small amount as I push or pull on the disk or does the magnet get the energy? This question may be related to the amount of force required to displace the disk. There may be important information revealed as a result of the energy transfer. I eagerly await your answer.

Dave
Hi Dave,

Here is guess for you.

The magnetic pressure P = B^2/(2*mu0) is reduced in the volume immediately below and above the puck, except in the thin volumes near the puck of flux transiting the thin vortices in which lines of flux are pinned. The magnetic pressure immediately adjacent to the sides of the puck, and adjacent to the pinning locations is increased. Any movement of the puck relative to a given magnet, provided the movement does not involve a canceling symmetry, such as rotation above a single magnet, or movement on a single magnet track, changes the local B and/or volume in which the B resides, and thus magnetic pressure, and thus energy of the system. Pushing the magnet into place merely involves compressing the B into a higher average pressure, and thus consumes energy. The energy in the B resides in the polarized vacuum.

The pinned flux, the flux which travels through the SC, moves relative to the fixing magnet if the SC orientation or position changes. The movement of this close line flux superpositions with, moves relative to, compresses and/or decompresses, the magnetic flux which travels around the SC, resulting in energy changes in the B field there, thus resisting motion.

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/