Hi Bob,

This issue that we are working on is one of importance and I hope that we can
come to an understanding as to how it operates.  I have extended my previous
theory based upon newly mined factors within the test data.  You viewpoint is
valuable to me as I ensure that most of the strange observations are explained.
 For this reason I wish to respond to your latest post as follows:

There are two different cases which need to be considered as we look into the
thought experiment behavior.  The first one is the condition of adding the 100
grams slug of water to an ECAT that is full of water and overflowing.  In this
case I suspect that we are in general agreement.  I would be surprised if the
100 grams did not immediately appear exiting the output port.  The water
leaving of course would be at the temperature at which the ECAT is operating.
This represents the overflow case.  I now find that I have some reason to
believe that this is in fact occurring at the time of the large outflow after
the pump rate is increased.  I need to verify this situation as I may be
chasing a ghost.  It will take additional time to prove and I will publish that
reason if I am successful.

The second case is of course the one where the internal ECAT is not overflowing
and has a reasonable amount of vapor trapped within.  Here we are not in
agreement.  I have given it some serious thought and have reached the following
conclusion.  At the moment that the new slug of water is introduced, steam of
that same volume will be expelled from the ECAT output port.  The volume of
vapor is 100  ml as is the water inputted.  The density of vapor is 1/921.7
that of liquid at 117 C.  In this case the first order calculation yields that
100 ml of vapor has .10849 grams of water inside.  This small addition to the
flow would not have a serious impact upon the output stream.  Also, if we
assume that additional liquid is evaporated as a result of the extra slug
input, it will take a large amount of energy to occur.  This requirement would
be in the order of 2260 joules/gram  x  100 grams = 226000 joules for our slug.
 The resulting temperature drop for 25.1 liters would be 226000 joules / (4.188
joules/gram-C  x 25100 grams) = 2.15 degrees centigrade.  This temperature drop
would result in a pressure drop of 26.182 psi(117 C) - 24.458 (114.9 C) = 1.724
psi.  This additional pressure drop must result in extra valve closure.

Mats Lewan informed me that the output flow was cool, had no air or vapor
within, and smooth.  He was careful not to disturb the setup plumbing as much
as possible.  He also stated that the water was there within seconds to begin
to fill his measuring device.  I view the hose to heat exchanger path as a
plumbing trap.  Water is trapped within the low region and must back up into
the exchanger to some starting distance.  The height differentials will cause a
small vacuum to exist due to siphon action which then has to be compensated for
by the remaining pressure all the way to the output port of the ECAT.  My
original post shows how that water ending distance causes the steam to be
condensed closer and closer to the manifold as the flow rate reduces.

The heat exchanger probably does not have a smooth monotonic change in
temperature from cold to high end(input port) under these conditions.  I
propose that the heat released by the condensing steam is becoming concentrated
within a region closer and closer to and within the manifold region as the flow
rate is reduced.  The amount of energy contained within the hot water itself is
many time lower than that of the condensing vapor.  The secondary water flow
will overwhelm any effects due to the liquid within the primary, but not the
vapor since it is releases much more energy at condensation point.  All of the
pieces seem to fit together into a complete puzzle and I hope that this post
will help clarify my position.

I agree with you that some form of level control is required if Rossi is to
output a controlled amount of steam.  Water output would not require that and I
now think that he has that within his sights for the big test.

Dave