The skeptics remind me of defense lawyers.  They can always come up with
reasonable doubt as to whether or not their clients committed the crime.  The
extent to which the skeptics of the ECAT go to convince themselves that it is a
scam amazes me.  Of course it is always possible to perform magic tricks and
deceive everyone.  But his luck would run out sooner or later and he would be
discovered.  Does anyone honestly think Mr. Rossi spends the time and energy
that would be required to continuously devise tricky methods to deceive us?
This concept is completely without reason.

I have enormous confidence in Mats Lewan and appreciate the effort he has
expended toward this project.  Where would we be if it were not for him?

I think you are wise in your belief that the self sustaining mode is convincing
to observers.  It is not really all that practical unless the energy used to
keep it in that mode is derived from output of the device.  I am sure that this
is possible and will become common in the future.  Wouldn't it be nice to have
a small battery backup system just to start the reactor and then it recharges
the batteries in preparation for the next start up.

You suggest that the calorimetry is simplified by the self sustaining mode.  To
me, I would prefer to have constant input power that can be accurately measured
and therefore steady state output.  If this type of system is run for long
enough, there can be not doubt as to the ratio of output power to input power.
 Actually it would not take much time to determine that steady state output has
been achieved.  My last document about proof of LENR revealed that truth.  It
was very evident that the ECAT was operating in a constant output mode
(actually extremely slowly dropping) just before it was placed within the self
sustaining mode.  The measurements reported by Mats in his Excel file would
allow me to calculate almost exactly how much the average input power would
need to increase in order to make the output flat and not varying with time for
as long as we desired.

Dave