> I am sorry to be a pedant but you people are using the term "appeal to
> authority" to mean the opposite of what it should mean. I have mentioned
> this before. Here's the definition:
>
> http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/appeal-to-authority.html
>
> "Also Known as: Fallacious Appeal to Authority, Misuse of Authority,
> Irrelevant Authority . . .
>
> . . . This fallacy is committed when the person in question is not a
> legitimate authority on the subject. More formally, if person A is not
> qualified to make reliable claims in subject S, then the argument will be
> fallacious."

You're right. Claiming that something must be right because some authority
said so, if not fallacious per se(that is, if not a false statement), is
an appeal to authority, plain and simple. You may dislike the use of it in
an argument, but it nevertheless is a valid argument to support a claim,
(specially when given to support other arguments), and I agree that it can
certainly bolster it. In fact, we use forms of appeal to authority all the
time.
I want to mention only one more thing: when an appeal to authority is made
for lack of, or to try to counteract other (probably stronger) arguments,
it tends to become suspicious, and that's probably the reason why it's
usually associated and confused with the logical fallacy of appeal to
authority.