My intuition tells me that quantum mechanical entanglement is the primary
mechanism that underlies what is going on in “Cold Fusion”

Cooper pairing of fermions could be one of many ways that nuclear reactions
happen in a way that the resultant nuclear energy associated with the
relaxation of the excited nucleus is QM teleported to a non-local reference
frame microns away as thermal energy.

For example, one proton of a cooper pair tunnels into a nickel nucleus and
the kinetic energy of the nuclear event is teleported to the remote paired
proton: the other member proton of the cooper pair far away from the
nuclear reaction.

Cooper pairs are formed primarily by phonon excitation in a metal lattice.
As in superconductivity, so the thermal state of the lattice, the type of
material (nickel isotope) involved, the many and sundry mechanisms of QM
entanglement that can occur, and the paramagnetic nature of the material
cause by temperatures of the metal (nickel) lattice being above the Currie
point may all be very important and come into play in an interactive way.