On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 4:51 AM, Joshua Cude <joshua.c...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 12:30 AM, Berke Durak <berke.du...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> David Roberson proposed a theory where a water clog forms
>> because of condensation.
>>
>> Because of this clog, pressure and temperature rises until
>> the clog is cleared....
> I'm pretty sure your depicted scenario is not what Roberson was
> proposing

No it's not exactly that, but I want to give him credit for the clog
theory.

> and it doesn't make sense.

Let's see.

First of all, let me reiterate the assumption that no significant
amount of liquid flows in the output steam pipes.  This is based on
the report.  Note how this implies that the pumps were not on
at their peak capacity all the time.

> The heat exchanger is *supposed* to condense the output,

Yes, it is.

> and return cooled water (at ambient temperature) back to the input
> reservoir.

No, it's not.  I didn't see any pump after the heat exchanger.

The output of the exchanger is at ground level.  Then it goes into a
hose which goes up and into the reservoir, which is 60 cm of water.

So the heat exchanger doesn't return anything by itself, but must
rely on upstream pressure to push the condensed, cold water back
and up.  Agree?

> The heat is removed from the steam/water output and dispersed to the
> sky behind some barriers

Right.

> maybe so no one can see how little heat there actually is.

Or maybe it was to protect visitors from a megawatt of thermal output?
Also visitors took a peek and we have footage and pictures of what is
behind.

> So, the output of the exchanger is surely always liquid.

It almost certainly is.

> That's not a clog if the temperature is reduced, so steam is not
>possible.

This sentence doesn't make sense to me.  Could you explain?
What does "steam is not possible" mean?

> The water flows more slowly, but it's more dense, so the mass flow
> rates balance.

Mass flow rates balance in the stable regime, but not at the beginning.

This is because there is no post-condenser pump and there is a height
difference.

Therefore condensed water doesn't get out of the way until there is
sufficient pressure for a sufficiently long time.

That pressure must be on the order of a hundred kPa (relative) or so.

> If you are suggesting that when the clog clears, steam flows into
> the reservoir, then there is far more heat entering the reservoir
> than if it were water.

No I'm not.  I'm suggesting it is warmish water.
--
Berke Durak