Here are some notes on the outcome. I though Uncle Sam purchased the
patents, as originally planned. Not so, according to: "The American
aviation experience: a history" By Tim Brady

There was a tangle of 130 patents, all essential to aviation.

On July 24, 1917 Congress appropriated $640 million for aviation "the
largest appropriation ever made by Congress for a single purpose"

"The manufacturers agreed to set up a cross patent agreement whereby any
manufacturer could use patents by paying a fee to our organization set up
by the patent holders. This organization would then apportion the seas to
the various patent holders. The Manufacturers' Aircraft Association was
thus created to collect and apportion fees and to speak for the industry. .
. ."