The biggest source of contemporary cosmic rays has been just identified:
http://agile.rm.iasf.cnr.it/doc/AGILE_cosmic-rays_W44_press-release__07b_English.pdf

This means that cosmic ray flux is very likely to subject to
fluctuations on the long period (comparable to star life), and could
come close to zero.  Earth has been subject to cosmic rains of
different kind during its existence.  This kind of trigger would make
Ni reactions even more aleatory.
But the most important objection is that it could not be used in deep
sea (submarines) or little inside Earth crust (mining).

mic