Axil Axil wrote:

In an experimental series performed by Piantelli, he observed the production of either heat or gamma radiation but not both at the same time, if memory serves.

I do not recall that, but that is a very interesting observation. In other words, a burst of gamma rays may be a precursor reaction.

Takahashi and some others say that with the bulk palladium electrochemical method, neutrons may be anti-correlated with excess heat. They appear when there is no heat, and vice versa. Takahashi thought that neutrons may be generated when the lattice is insufficiently loaded. It has been a long time since I read this. As I recall Storms disputed this hypothesis because he said the lattice is never loaded evenly. One part of the bulk palladium cathode will be fully loaded while another is not. He ascribes neutrons to some conventional fusion reaction such as fracto-fusion.