Yes, I do now think, the heat exchanger should do it in the horizontal orientation.
I tested this as follows:
I downloaded and installed the heatexchanger calculation software from SWEP. It is unregistered and in demo mode. Registering is free bust must be approved, so I have none. In this mode the application supports only water-water applications, so far I found.

So I inserted the primary water flow multiplied by 5, this gives about the thermal energy of the steam.

Under this conditions I get secondary delta_t of 5° and the difference between primary out and secondary in is about 0.5 degrees.
Lewan reported about 1 degree.

So if this exchanger can do it with water, then it should also be able to do it with the equivalent energy in steam.
Apparently horizontal orientation is not a problem here.

BTW, the difference between primary out and secondary in was about 1 degrees in Lewans report. If the primary delta_t was 100° then this means, the energetic efficiency of the heatexchanger was 99 %. This is pretty good and is probably because this exchanger is designed for higher flow rates.

Best,

Peter