Peter Heckert <peter.heck...@arcor.de> wrote:

> Arent there better words?

I have addressed this question here before, from the point of view of
linguistics. It does not matter what you call something. People will know
what you mean. See Wittgenstein's discussion of meaning: "Don’t ask for the
meaning, ask for the use." This is the basis for Google's translation
tools, which work better than most linguists predicted was possible. See:

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2011/10/google_translate_will_google_s_computers_understand_languages_be.html

Terminology is often inaccurate and usually a generation behind. We often
pick a word for something new that describes the older object better than
the new one. Because there isn't a word for the new thing. For example:

A collection of files in a computer is called a folder, even though it does
not fold. It is represented by a manila folder icon, even though many
people have never seen an actual folder. My daughter visited my office
years ago, saw a folder, and said, "ah, so *that's* what the thing on the
screen is."

Ae call a semiconductor replacement for a hard disk a "solid state disk"
even though:

It isn't disk shaped.

A hard disk is in the solid state too.

In fission reactors, they talk about "burning" the fuel, even though
combustion does not occur. That does not matter. No one is confused by the
term, any more than they are by the expression "burn rate" to describe the
use of start-up funds in venture capital. No one thinks the people starting
a company are actually igniting piles of cash money . . . although I
suppose they might have at the height of the dot-com boom.

In scientific disciplines, terminology is more likely to be adjusted to
reflect underlying physical reality than in other disciplines. But it often
starts out wrong, or drifts into being wrong as new discoveries are made or
technology changes, yet it remains in use.