On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 4:32 PM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Joshua Cude <joshua.c...@gmail.com> wrote a message that I happened to
> notice:
>

>> Cold fusion is a simple experiment, and anyone should be able to follow
>> the recipe, even if not from scratch. If the material is tricky, get it
>> from someone who claims to be able to make it reproducibly.
>>

> This is one of the most incorrect statements I have ever seen in this
> forum.
>
> Every electrochemist I know says this is one of the hardest experiment
> they ever attempted. Richard Oriani said it was the hardest he did in his
> 50-year career. He is one of the world's top electrochemists.
>
> Every book and every major paper about this subject says the experiment is
> very difficult.

Here's you responding in the comments on a columbia tribune article at
http://www.columbiatribune.com/users/kemosabe/comments/

rothwell> "And if you think the method used at Energetics Technology is not
simple, then you do not understand calorimetry. Or heat. Or junior high
school physics. This method is simple. It is irrefutable. "

And the Energetics setup is about as complicated as cold fusion experiments
get.

Here's what you said in 1994 in a paper with Mallove:

"Cold fusion, in contrast to hot fusion, occurs in relatively simple
apparatus, albeit not yet without some difficulties."

"Probably the most difficult hurdle in trying to come to terms with cold
fusion is that is seems too fantastic scientifically, and "too good to be
true" economically and socially [...] We believe that before the year 2000
there will be cold fusion powered autmobiles, home heating systems, small
compact electrical generating units, and aerospace applications."

It can't have been all that difficult if you were expecting cars by 2000.

Here's Fleischmann from the original news conference:

"this is, on the one hand, a scaled-up test tube, with which you might be
familiar from your high school background, and on the other hand it’s also
a Dewar flask, something perhaps which Stan should have referred to so that
we can monitor the release of heat very accurately and he has really
described the experiment. It is very simple, you drive the deuterons into
the lattice, you compress the deuterons in the lattice and under those
circumstances we have found the conditions where fusion takes place and can
be sustained indefinitely."

>From the Macneil Lehrer interview in 1989 (in which "simple" occurs
countless times):

Pons: " It's the simplest of electrochemical cells: [usual (simple)
description] ... and you simply pass a current between the two electrodes."

Fleischmann: "[energy production] could, in this embodiment, be carried
out, we think, in a very simple manner."

>From Fleischmann et al (JEC 1990): "It is shown that accurate values of the
rates of enthalpy generation in the electrolysis of light and heavy water
can be obtained from measurements in simple, single compartment Dewar type
calorimeter cells."

and so on...