On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 2:13 PM, James Bowery <jabow...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My particular part in this effort was that I was to prototype a
> mass-marketable version of the PLATO network, which I did circa 1980.  I
> won't go into the details of that network except to say that the
> contribution it would have made to national security would have been to
> connect "smart" rural homesteads with information, education and business
> resources that would contribute to their self-sufficiency.  Yes, I know,
> this is starting to be realized today, but a lot of water has passed under
> the bridge since 1980, no?  <SNIP>
>

> The reason you never heard of these things is that they were in direct
> conflict with Wall Street's interests and Wall Street made no secret of its
> hatred of Bill's vision.
>
> I succeeded in prototyping the mass market PLATO system and it was quashed
> by a mutinous middle management more identified with Wall Street than the
> "crazy old koot" in the executive suite.  Unlike many of Bill's other
> technology directions in support of decentralized population structure, the
> PLATO system was poised to make immediate profits and roll out mass
> produced Macintosh equivalent network computers for a service that would
> have cost $40/month in 1980 dollars -- and that includes terminal rental.
>  So it was particularly egregious that this technology was killed for the
> noble purpose of making America vulnerable to 9/11 type attacks.

Hi Jim.  I don't know if this is on topic for Vortex.   As it happens, at
one time, I studied the history of PLATO and what I read and heard wasn't
the same as what you just recounted.   PLATO was incredibly advanced for
its time.  But it wasn't "Macintosh-like" for the most part.  There was no
mouse and all menus were accessed with key stroke combinations or a very
clumsy touch panel.  Graphics were slow and 512 x 512.  Color was
experimental in 1980 if I read it right -- most displays were monochrome.
Sound was experimental.   And networking outside a small local area
required expensive leased telephone lines in those days because there was
no internet.   Your figure of $40/month per station is unlikely because of
the large and expert central staff required to maintain the system and
provide user service over the network.

What I do find strange and unfortunate is that the wonderful PLATO
attention to user requirements, rapid fixing of system flaws and bugs, and
it's user-friendly and unique menu structure have not been properly
incorporated, even now, in modern systems.  An example of that is that in
many programs and apps, you can't return to a previous screen conveniently,
use of keys and buttons isn't consistent from app to app, you can't get
help, you can't always interrupt animations or computations, and you can't
get a human to assist you -- all those items were almost taken for granted
on the few properly run PLATO systems in the 1970's (for example the
medical school PLATO).   And nowadays, if you have trouble, you usually end
up waiting hours to speak or chat with some Sam or Susie in a third world
country who knows little, often provides disastrous advice (reformat your
hard drive for example) and rarely helps with the current problem.  On the
other hand, we have Google and the internet to help us, something barely
dreamed of in PLATO days.

> Bottom line, as technology advances, there is an increasing call for
> oppression to maintain the centralized population structure, just as there
> was to create it by moving the boomers out of their small midwestern towns,
> through universities and into the sterilizing urban environments in which
> they could not afford children<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akVL7QY0S8A> --
> but the attack on national security was conducted by Wall Street against
> the traditional American way of life.  Any discussion, nowadays, about the
> threat to national security represented by attacks against centralized
> symbols like the World Trade Center on 9/11/2001 is utter misdirection.

I'm not sure what you're saying here.  I am certain that militants would be
only too happy to use a dirty bomb, biological or chemical weapons or a
crude nuclear bomb to attack the government centers in Washington which are
unsafely too close together.  They would also love to attack any population
center.  But surely you're not saying you can do away with cities are you?
  Not with PLATO like systems?   Not with any current technology.  Maybe
when we have unlimited energy?

Anyway, those wanting to read more about PLATO can look at these links.
And there was a PLATO reunion recently-- the fiftieth anniversary.  Too bad
it petered out and Control Data went belly up!

David Woolley's web site and an excellent Youtube video panel
discussion:    http://thinkofit.com/plato/dwplato.htm

Brian Dear's PLATO history page:   http://platohistory.org/

PLATO at Fifty -- conference program:
http://www.computerhistory.org/events/listing/plato-at-50/

The history of PLATO provides another lesson -- a lesson about how new
discoveries evolve and are brought forth.  It doesn't work like the model
Jed and others would have us believe Rossi and Defkalion are following.

PLATO and the inventions related to it, like Don Bitzer's original plasma
display panel, made most original developers, especially Bitzer, very
rich.  And they didn't have to hide anything from the competition -- they
simply got patent protection for their inventions and developed and
marketed them in the open.  And the rest is history -- much of modern
computing followed to some degree or other the PLATO model.  Email has
multiple origins but one is from PLATO.  Flight Simulator and dozens of
other games started with PLATO.   Xerox Parc and the Macintosh evolved from
PLATO and employed people who trained and worked with PLATO.  And so on...

Funny you should mention it, Jim.