Something that occurs to me about the emergence of a negative coefficient
of temperature at high loading of hydrogen in metallic lattices is that it
may be related to the stress imposed by that loading.  If stress reaches a
point where charge carriers to emerge, then increasing the temperature may
enhance the emergence of those carriers.

The emergence of charge carriers with stress is theorized to occur in
igneous rock:

*Stress-Induced Changes in the Electrical Conductivity of Igneous Rocks and
the Generation of Ground Currents*

*Author*:Friedemann T. Freund, Akihiro Takeuchi, Bobby W. S. Lau, Rachel
Post, John Keefner, Joshua Mellon, and Akthem Al-Manaseer

*Abstract*

    If we can ever hope to understand the non-seismic signals that the
Earth sends out before major earthquakes, we need to understand the physics
of rocks under increased levels of stress. In particular we need to
understand the generation of electrical currents in the ground. We have
begun to study how electrical conductivity of igneous rocks changes under
stress and what types of charge carriers are involved. We show that
quartz-rich granite and quartz-free anorthosite both generate electronic
charge carriers when subjected to stress. The charge carriers are positive
holes (p-holes), i.e., defect electrons on the oxygen anion sublattice.
They spread out of the stressed rock volume, the “source volume”, into the
surrounding unstressed rocks. Time-varying ground currents are required to
generate pre-earthquake local magnetic field anomalies and low-frequency
electromagnetic emissions. We posit that stress-induced activation of
p-hole charge carriers and their outflow from the source volume is the
basic process by which ground currents can be generated in the Earth’s
crust. We propose that the arrival of p-holes at the Earth’s surface leads
to changes in the ground potential that may induce ionospheric
perturbations. We further propose that the build-up of high electric fields
at the ground surface can ionize the air, hence cause ion emission and
corona discharges. When p-holes recombine at the ground surface, they are
expected to form vibrationally highly excited O-O bonds. The de-excitation
of these O-O bonds will lead to stimulated mid-IR emission, which may
explain the reported pre-earthquake “thermal anomalies” identified in
satellite images.

*Key word:Pre-earthquake phenomena, Electrical conductivity, Stress,
Magnetic field, Ionization, EM emission, Thermal anomalies*

*Full_Text(pdf)<http://tao.cgu.org.tw/center/article_download_one.php?id=530xv153p437>
 *