LENR would be quite disruptive if it even replaced 10 percent of the world
energy supply over the next twenty years.  If it turns out to be bona fide
and something that can be commercialized (hopefully we'll get a sense of
this soon), and barring some unforeseen impediment to its widespread
adoption, it's not difficult to imagine that it could replace well beyond
10 percent of the energy supply over time.

As a thought experiment, assume that LENR effectively makes energy free
during the next 100 years.  Find some activity of concern to the majority
of people on the planet that is limited in some way by scarcity --
agricultural production, water distribution, the generation of heat and
electricity, heavy manufacturing, transportation, housing.  The cost of
these activities would go down significantly.  It's hard to even get a
sense of what the implications of such a development would be.

Now consider the possibility of mass scale production of isotopes by way of
controlled transmutation.  It would be an understatement to say that this
would be disruptive.  Precious metals would become commodities, and the
already tenuous connection between gold and silver and the monetary supply
would probably be broken.  But more worryingly, it might be possible to
order up as much uranium-235 as you want.

So for the sake of widespread, unencumbered adoption of LENR, let's hope
that energy production becomes easy and transmutation of heavier elements
proves to be difficult or impossible.

Eric