I wonder if sonoluminescence could be used as a cheap way to produce the
Rossi reaction. I believe that Rydberg hydrogen is produced by the extreme
high pressures occurring during cavatation. The intense ultraviolet
radiation coming at or very near the end of bubble collapse is a clue that
highly excited hydrogen gas is being generated. Any excited dirty plasma
hydrogen will produce Rydberg atoms.

If a large bubble can enclose a micro sized nickel particle, a Rossi type
reaction might be produced.
Cavatation is extremely powerful. It can produce 5 nanometer diamonds from
graphite feedstock in a few nanoseconds.

The nickel powder might be easily destroyed inside the collapsing
cavitation bubble.

Some fluid other than water might be better used to get rid of the oxygen;
maybe a hydrocarbon.

But such an experiment is easily done; just add some nickel powder of
various sizes, start cavitation, and look for excess heat.

Regards: Axil