From: Robert Leguillon

*

*  This is a lot of aluminum consumption.  These are
back-of-the-napkin-style calculations, so I apologize if I've missed
something, but (unless I've made a large mistake) it appears that:

2[Al ]+ 6[H2O] + CC => CC + 2[Al(OH)3] + 3H2

…. Absent that, am I missing something?

Robert, you may be missing a bit of the lore – or do not remember the
Pacheco process of H2 generation, which is essentially this same scenario
except the hydroxide is itself split, leaving alumina, and there is the
claim of an anomaly in H2 output.

http://www.rexresearch.com/pacheco/pacheco.htm

This process never went commercial but good testing showed that it gave
“much more hydrogen than it should” … it was mentioned that the actual rate
was over 3:1 over the rate of normal aluminum consumption using these
calculations, indicating that there is some anomaly.

Still – aluminum is “so dear” that 3:1 this makes little sense. Even at
triple the output of H2, there is a problem but at a certain level of
production - the economics would work out, and Alcoa probably knows this and
is waiting for oil to hit $200. I do not know what that level is – but it is
highly dependent on the price of oil, vis-à-vis aluminum.

I know of one inventor in Mississippi - who has a Pacheco-like process that
he claims is very economical NOW, when using recycled aluminum beer cans as
the energy source. He can drive you around in a vehicle powered this way -
for a fraction of the cost of gasoline.

The problem there, as anyone can see - is supply and demand. If he were
successful, then the price of recycled aluminum goes up and there is a net
negative – in disposing of all the spent alumina or AlOH.

Jones