what follows, which is possibly less advanced?

                From: David Roberson

                This is an interesting discussion that mirrors my thinking
as well.

                I would expect that a civilization millions of years ahead
of ours would have figured a way to construct biological appendages as
needed for the tasks at hand.  Our somewhat limited understanding of the
biological processes is advancing at a rapid rate and one day it will be
standard procedure to regrow any injured organs as required.

                On the other hand, it might be more convenient to develop
mechanical components to assist our future selves since the power to weight
ratio can be much higher than evolution has generated thus far.

                Let's just hope that it is not typical for an advanced
civilization to end itself with super weapons once it reaches a certain
point in its development!

                Dave