Hi,
[snip]

>I've never delved into Casimir Force, but I have to say, it's really
>intriguing.
>As I understand the basic evidence of Casimir Force: experiments seem to
>verify that metal plates at extremely close distances in a vacuum preclude
>longer wavelengths of the "aether-equivalent", creating a higher pressure
>outside the plates than between.
>
>I just have a few questions, and the Vortexians seem an excellent crew to ask:
>
>1) Does the measured Casimir Force match with those predicted by the
>underlying theory with precision? Have any specific materials (esp.
>conductors/nonconductors) been discovered to be Casimir-outliers?

Last I read, it matches to within about 5%. Not sure what the experimental error
was, but these measurements are rather difficult.

>2) Does the force exercised upon the plates necessarily have to be an aether
>repulsion, in lieu of a plate attraction?

How can one tell the difference?

>It is known that precision-milled metals can bond together when brought into
>proximity in a vacuum.  I'd always attributed this to broken crystalline
>structures being essentially unbalanced, and desiring chain completion, much
>like molecular bonds. For reference on the metal bonding, see cold welding as
>a quick reference:(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_welding)
>I ask, because it seems that, experimentally, in order to get the plates close
>enough without touching, the milling precision would be identical to, possibly
>far surpass, the level at which one would demonstrate cold welding.

How do you know that cold welding isn't due to Casimir force?

>3) With the presence of Casimir Force, how does one measure the effects of
>Newtonian Gravity at nano-scales?

If you are talking about Newtonian gravity between the two plates, then this
goes as the square of the distance *between centers of mass*, whereas the
Casimir force goes as the 4th power of the distance between the plates.
Furthermore, the Casimir force should be independent of the mass of the plates.

>In consulting Occam, I would first ask the question as to whether this is just
>another incarnation or variance of gravity (another completely invisible
>force, with which we cannot contribute any of its characteristics to a
>detectable particle, but can only verify its existance through inferrence of
>evidence, and conformance to mathematical models)
>The immediate thought would be to alternate the same experiments with plates
>of different mass, but that gets rendered moot by practicality, as at those
>distances, the mass at the back of the plates is rendered virtually
>meaningless.  Really, only the faces of each plate feel the largest attraction
>with rapid, exponential dropoff within nanometer(s)

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk