your vision seems right.
not only delusion, but also despair need to sell.

About delusion of the elite, it is coherent with the theory of Roland
Benabou <http://www.princeton.edu/%7Erbenabou/papers.html>  that I often
cite <http://www.lenrforum.eu/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40>, which can explain
LENR denial, subprime, Chalenger crash, Enron...
At this level, the decider cannot accept that their are in a dead end, that
they have to surrender their wealth, and drop their ideology (like free
market).

An the opposite Chinese government is at the edge of nationalist collapse,
and Chinese have followed the crash or USSR. and learn from Gorbachev that
you should not liberalize the politic before the economy...
but if economy became bad, china explode like USSR.

Also China is mentally the most capitalist country in the world, much
before USA. they know how to bargain and manipulate the kids from baby
countries that do business (even Europe for Chinese is a young
civilization).

On the other side in Europe, we are fascinated by free markets theory, and
European commission implement it like a religion, not even with the
hypocritical defense that US master... Add to that Environmentalist
lobbying to complicate all...  EC regulation is plain stupid.