Forgive my simplistic understanding, but based on this hypothesis, all one
needs to do is Ionize a bunch of Atomic Hydrogen and set them on a collison
course with each other; and each collision should produce an excess energy,
correct??

If so, then all one needs is to make sure you have a lot of Ionized hydrogen at
a high temperature, make sure the Ions and the electrons are separated and you
should get excess energy from the collisions of the Ions without the need for
nickel or any other metal.

If this is correct, the best reactor configuration would be 2 plates subjected
to high voltage with sparks from time to time.  The sparks ionize and heat the
atomic hydrogen, the electric field from the high voltage should separate the
positive hydrogen protium ions from the negative electrons forcing the positive
ions to bunch up on 1 side and that should promote collisions.

I wonder if this has something to do with why Rossi adopted a flat 2-plate
reactor design?

Jojo