From: Alan J Fletcher [a...@well.com]
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2012 12:14 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Fukushima pool #4 presents a potential nightmare

At 10:19 PM 4/6/2012, Mark Goldes wrote:
>Former UN advisor: If No. 4 pool collapses I’ve
>been told “during 50 years, you cannot contain”
>Nuclear Expert: Fukushima spent fuel has 85
>times more cesium than released at Chernobyl —
>“It would destroy the world environment and our civilization…"
>
>http://akiomatsumura.com/2012/04/682.html

Japanese TV program (It says to Turn on English CC) and transcript

Fukushima Dai-Ichi No. 4: An earthquake before
spent fuel rods are moved to safe storage would be “the end”
<http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2012/04/fukushima-dai-ichi-no-4-an-earthquake-before-spent-fuel-rods-are-moved-to-safe-storage-would-be-the-end.html>

http://www.youtube.com/v/eJi-o4F8eOo?version=3&hl=en_US

The reporter is Mr. Toru TAMAKAWA. The expert is
Dr. Hiroaki KOIDE, Research Associate at the
Research Reactor Institute of Kyoto University.

eg ...
I asked him “Why can’t we simply transfer them to
another pool?” Now, let’s look at how the
transfer is normally done. [3:20] As shown here,
nuclear fuel rods are initially in the reactor.
When they are spent, they are transferred to the
spent fuel pool here.[3:28] What they do first is
lower this giant container into the water. [3:34]
Then the fuel rods are transferred into this
container in the water. All of them. [3:42] Then
they close the lid with water inside, and hoist
the container outside. [3:48] But now, because of
the earthquake, the crane to hoist them is not
working any more. [3:53] Then, how are they going to transfer the fuel rods?