Reading the description of the experimental setup Abundo writes only
of Hydrogen.

The text below is very interesting besides mentioning Hydrogen gas,
gives the idea that, as many guessed on vortex-l, that Rossi's
catalyst is indeed iron used to split H2 in H.

"il mix di polveri, quando usato con catodi metallici,  può contenere
polvere catalizzante micrometrica di ferro, per catalizzare la
presenza di idrogeno atomico invece che molecolare."

"the powder mix, when used with metallic cathodes, can contain
*catalyzing* micrometric iron powder, to catalyze atomic hydrogen
instead of molecular"

mic