Hi

Assume you could get absorption of a laser photon in unranium hexaflouride
based on uranium 235 and not in 238. I can not imagine what I read in
newspapers since the optical excitation would be almost the same.
Rotational and vibrational spectrum however would differ by approximately
1% or less.

Even if an optical absorption can have an effect at say 2 µm according to
http://jcp.aip.org/resource/1/jcpsa6/v16/i5/p442_s1?isAuthorized=no

Makes the speed difference for one photon absorption to become v = 2hf/mc =
2h/m/lambda = 0.0011 m/s which is somewhat more realistic.

But to what extent would collisions in the gas speed up
heavier molecules and slow down the lighter ones?

David

David Jonsson, Sweden, phone callto:+46703000370