Guenter Wildgruber <gwildgru...@ymail.com> wrote:

> Now my question is:
> In what way will/could LENR change the course of the future?
>
> Jed has done some significant work on that, but all-in-all this is a
> question of system-dynamics, i.e. how could LENR actually change the course
> we are on, IN A TIMELY  MANNER?

To answer that, let us look at Japan. It is a conservative society. Often
very slow to change. Government budget percentages to different departments
has been stuck to with 1% for decades. The LDP was the ruling party for
decades, until recently.

So, when the public suddenly decided it does not want the nation to use
nuclear power, how long did it take them to close down all of their
reactors? One year. Even though nuclear power supplies 30% of their
electricity, and even though turning the nukes off will cause wrenching
dislocations, power shortages, and huge sums of money . . . they did it
practically overnight. No other nation in post-WWII history has made such a
large change to its industrial base so quickly. The only thing comparable
would be the U.S. transition to war production during 2 weeks in 1942, when
we abruptly shut down the entire automobile industry.

You might argue that the Japanese public has overreacted. It is possible
the decision will be partly reversed. That is beside the point. The point
is, when a society feels something is necessary, it can act decisively and
more rapidly than most people imagine possible.

I quoted Freeman Dyson on this subject:

". . . [The] experiences of World War II made an
indelible impression on people of my generation. At the bottom of our
hearts we still believe you
can have anything you want in five years if you need it badly enough and if
you are prepared to
slog your way through the barriers of confusion and incompetence to get it
. . . The accepted
wisdom says that, no matter what we decide to do about economic problems,
we cannot expect to
see any substantial results [for 15 years]. The accepted wisdom is no doubt
correct, if we
continue to play the game by the rules of today. But anyone who lived
through World War II
knows that the rules can be changed very fast when the necessity arises."

http://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/RothwellJcomparison.pdf