If you recall our past discussions (Re: Excess heat due to proton pairing
in metal hydrides) about the DGT maintenance process of periodically
venting the hydrogen envelope and occasionally vacuuming the nickel powder.
I suggested that this procedure was to mitigate the “quiescence” problem
whose causation is localized in the hydrogen envelope.

What this maintenance procedure would do is reduce to low levels, the
“secret sauce” additive. This catalyst would need to be reformulated and
reactivated after envelope venting.

The function of the second spark plug is rebuild the nano-structures of the
“secret sauce” when the DGT reactor is restarted.

There must be a large resource of functional additive precursor compound
that is in close proximity to the plasma end on the second spark plug.

In the Rossi reactor, the functional additive is only formulated at the
initial startup and is maintained for long term running.

But in the DGT reactor which can be restarted many times on-site, the
functional additive must be rebuilt after each on-site maintenance
procedure.

The second plug is only activated for a short timeframe until the
functional additive is vaporized from a powdered or a solid feedstock
compound packed closely around the plasma end of the second spark plug.

Cheers:  Axil