At 04:42 PM 5/25/2012, Chemical Engineer wrote:
Reads like the catalyst may have been
Lysergic acid diethylamide

It does read that way. LeClair does not report the primary observational data, but, rather, his high-level abstract impressions, his *interpretations* of the data, and that is precisely what occurs in hallucinatory states, generally. It is the interpretation that is believed and remembered, and presented as fact, not the sensory information.

I've been there, I know what this is like, at least partially.

(Indeed, the collapse of interpretation with actual sensory experience is *normal,* almost all of us do this routinely, unless we are trained to do something different. Science, as a method, is designed to compensate for this. When it works.)

(With schiziod breaks, the interpretation faculty becomes so active, so able to create interpretations, that only the most slender thread still connects interpretation with sensory evidence, almost any interpretation can be created from nothing or almost nothing.)

But the title of this thread is Zawodny's video. Zawodny is apparently doing the kind of thing I've long been suggesting: massive parallel experimentation. I mostly thought of parallel identical cells, essentially manufactured, but his design of what appears to be "experiments on a chip" could be even more powerful. That all the "cells" are created by the same process is a powerful approach. However, he will still need to make and test multiple devices, i.e., many of these multi-cell chips.

It's disappointing to see so much enthusiastic "this could revolutionize energy generation" (which has been obvious for more than twenty years) with so little detail on what the hell he's actually doing.

The material on W-L theory is practically irrelevant. W-L theory is still awaiting some kind of experimental verification; the obvious expectations of what would happen with ULM neutron generation don't match experimental results, and that's waved away with *another* unobserved and unconfirmed phenomenon, 100% absorption of gammas by the "heavy electron patches" that are theorized to allow p-e combination to form the neutrons.

The theory raises more questions than it resolves, obvious questions, and none of the (again enthusiastic) reports address those questions. We'd expect to see, for starters, leftover intermediate products, since there is no reason to think that the neutrons would react with high preference with the intermediate products, and the original (first) reaction rate is very low. Experimentally, the reaction series created must complete, but mechanism for that is ignored. Further, there must be no leakage of gammas from the expected neutron activation of elements present must not only be absorbed by the heavy electron patches, there must be no leakage (presumably from the "edges").

That gamma shield must be (1) thin, and (2) perfect. Yes, we understand why Larsen might not want to talk about it. Commercial interest, intellectual property, yatta yatta. But all this means that we *cannot* consider W-L theory to be anything like established, whereas Zawodny treats it as this amazing idea that finally explains cold fusion. Maybe he knows something we don't, that's always possible.

But LENR was clearly established by the mid-1990s, and this does not depend on any theory at all, beyond what is most simple: *something* is converting deuterium to helium in P-F class experiments, as shown by Miles, confirming earlier, sketchier reports, and as confirmed by other research groups around the world, with there being extremely little contrary evidence. Strictly speaking, that it is deuterium being converted is only a reasonable, perhaps default, conjecture, reinforced by some work that shows that the ratio of helium to heat is close to the deuterium fusion value, and much more work on the reaction Q is seriously indicated.

Which, by the way, was the unanimous position of the 2004 U.S. DoE review, more research is needed. If we want to talk about hallucinations, as a product of projecting personal beliefs back onto sensory evidence, the pseudoskeptics who imagine they represent science have read the 2004 review as continuing to reject cold fusion. Nope. The review, in fact, shows that the issue is very much alive, and needs further research, just as was the real conclusion in 1989. "Not convincing" is read as "Thoroughly rejected, bogus, forget about it." Isn't that weird?

But it's how people think when they have become nailed to what they believe. These pseudoskeptics, of late, have switched positions with the "believers," imagining that the balance of publication in peer-reviewed journals is purely a result of bias. They don't notice that the balance switched drastically, and, in fact, switched long ago, sometime around 1991. But with difficulties getting funding, and, yes, difficulties getting research published, peer-reviewed papers on cold fusion did decline drastically, to a nadir around 2005 of one paper every two months. Last time I looked, it had gone up to about two papers per month. It is the pseudoskeptics who are clinging to Rube Goldberg attempts to explain away experimental evidence. It is the pseudoskeptics who reject Storms's review paper in Naturwissenschaften, "Status of cold fusion (2010)," claiming that it was only published because Storms is LENR editor there, somehow overlooking the implications of NW, published by Springer-Verlag, one of the largest scientific publishers in the world, and being a publication with access to the best peer review resources, needing a LENR editor at all; they imply that Storms reviewed his own paper (obviously not true), and they don't realize or accept that the paper was *solicited,* by a venerable mainstream publication, which allowed the striking claim in the abstract.

(copy at http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/StormsEstatusofcoa.pdf)

The evidence supports the claim that a nuclear reaction between deuterons to
produce helium can occur in special materials without application of high energy.

Their old road is rapidly fading. They can't get published any more, and the old "negative replications" have been almost totally covered, are now part of the experimental record that *confirms* the Fleischmann-Pons Heat Effect (i.e., the necessary conditions, missing in those experiments, are now largely understood).

I do wish that Krivit would ask the difficult questions of Larsen et al. If he doesn't know what they are, he could ask.