INTRODUCTION:

What do you do when you are trying to grasp the fundamentals of a well-known
physics equation, an equation you had not been formally taught it in school?
Wikipedia, of course! But what happens if what Wikipedia has to say on the
subject confuses you even more? You do your best to reason out the
fundamental elements that comprise the equation on your own recognizance.
You hope that what you come up with will somehow miraculously match up with
what the academic textbooks have to say on the subject.

The process of discovery can occasionally lead to surprising conclusions,
especially when you get around to comparing notes with what the priesthood
of physics has to say on the subject. You might discover the fact that while
your version of the equation seems to posses fundamental differences when
compared to what is formally laid out in the textbooks, what you came up
with nevertheless seems to explain the phenomenon in exactly the same way.
Not only that you can use your own equation to make the exact same
predictions.

This recently happened to me while trying to grok a well know algebraic
formula, the Conservation of Angular Momentum, or CoAM. It is intimately
related to my on-going study of Celestial Mechanics through the use of
computer simulation. Here's one of my prior posts pertaining to personal
research I've done in the field made back in March of 2012:

http://www.mail-archive.com/vortex-l@eskimo.com/msg64010.html

While continuing my research I eventually realized I needed to understand
the fundamentals of CoAM because I came to realize that the equation is an
essential part of the physics that helps explain how Celestial Mechanics
(CM) behaves. CoAM helps explain why a satellite orbiting a gravitational
mass, like a planetary body, typically assumes the path of an ellipse where
one of the foci is located at the center of the planetary body. Why does the
velocity of an orbiting satellite as it swoops away from the planetary mass
slow down? CoAM explains it. Why does the satellite's velocity speed up
dramatically during the return phase. Again CoAM explains the reason why.
What is even more astonishing is why does the speeding satellite after it
has made its nearest approach break away? How can that possibly happen? Why
doesn't it crash into the planetary body since the gravitational influence
being felt would be at its greatest strength? Again, CoAM explains why that
doesn't happen. I would conjecture that exactly how CoAM constantly comes to
the rescue is not necessarily that well groked by most folks, including
physicists. I certainly didn't understand nor appreciate the incredible
dance of physics that is involved, not until I started taking a long hard
look.

It is my hope that how I finally learned to grok CoAM might help others who
may also occasionally feel disenfranchised from what traditional physics
books might have to say on similar subjects. The experience lead me to a
belief that there may turn out to be many roads that lead to the Grand City
of Rome. Not only that, sometimes traveling down a less beaten path can have
its own unique surprises and rewards. I suspect Andrea Rossi is a perfect
example of such an individual who found his own unique pathway to the City
of Rome. I suspect he chose a road rarely travelled by others. The path he
chose could possibly end up turning the world of physics upside down -
assuming his eCats really do work, and perhaps most important of all, he
gets the chance to sell them en masse to the world.

MY SEARCH FOR COAM BEGINS:

Initially I tried reading what Wikipedia had to say on the subject. The
authors weren't of much help to me. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_of_angular_momentum#Conservation_o
f_angular_momentum

http://tinyurl.com/yf28c7l

Something was missing. Nowhere in the all of the turgid mathematical
equations that had been written down was there the slightest hint of a
squared value. That bothered me. It bothered me because of my own extensive
computer simulation research into Celestial Mechanics, of how orbital bodies
are attracted to a central gravitational mass. I was also acutely aware of
Kepler's most famous law concerning planetary motion, his 2nd law which
states:

A line joining a planet and the Sun sweeps out equal areas during equal
intervals of time

Kepler's 2nd law introduces a constant that manifests in our
three-dimensional universe in the form of a flat and fixed 2-dimensional
piece of area. No matter what shape that flat patch of area assumes the
amount of area remains constant. First a qwik refresher course on "area". An
area, such as a rectangle, is determined by multiplying two 1 dimensional
lengths held at 90 degrees to each other. It is often expressed as:

area = x * y.

If, as sometimes happens, x = y, representing a square, then you can
simplify the rectangular equation to:

area = x^2.

There was the squared value! Based on my own experience of working with
computer simulations of orbiting bodies I strongly suspected that a squared
value was also probably an intimate part of the CoAM equation. The most
obvious culprit that would possess this mysterious squared value would be r,
the radius. r would be the distance of where the rotating body is located
from the center of the axis.

At this point, while armed with the suspicion that a squared value had to
exist somewhere, I had to take matters into my own hands by trying to
construct the essence of the equation for CoAM on my own reconnaissance. I
had to use the most elementary tools that I was familiar with and hope to
god that at the end of my construction project something actually made
sense! There are never guarantees that one can achieve success when
embarking on these kinds of journeys. But then, it's the journey itself that
often turns out to be the most valuable part of the entire learning
experience. Ironically it can turn out to be irrelevant whether one achieves
success, or not, because failure often turns out to be the final conclusion.
Therefore, take time to smell the roses along the way. You might miss
something earth shattering!

MY PERSONAL CONSTRUCTION OF COAM BEGINS:

* I know that 360 degrees comprises a complete circle. I know many in the
scientific community prefer to use radians when working with trigonometric
values, but screw that! Most laymen implicitly understand that 360 degrees
makes up a complete circle.

* I know that if you were to spin a weight at the end of at string while
making pains not introduce any form of torque, the string will continue to
sweep a full circle in equal intervals of time.

* This also means that within each and every single degree for which the
rotating weight passes through in its circuitous journey an equal slice of
fractional time occurs. Every single degree possesses the same amount of
fractional time. What this means is that we have established a constant
value with the orbiting weight.

* Perhaps less appreciated is the fact that this also means that the amount
of area that the weight is continuously sweeping through would also turn out
to be the equivalent of an constant. Let me repeat that: The area being
swept through is also a constant. The constant is actually a squared value
comprised of x * y, or in simplified terms x².

. . .

Ok, at this point some may have recognized the fact that there seems to
exist a profound similarity with a fundamental law that explains how CoAM
behaves and Kepler's 2nd law which states that: A line joining a planet and
the Sun sweeps out equal areas during equal intervals of time. We need to
test this suspicion by plugging in a different value for the radius of the
spinning weight that is attached to a string and see whether the velocity
does change accordingly.

Through simple observation everybody intuits the fact that when a spinning
ice skater pulls in her arms and legs her entire body begins spinning at
significantly faster rates. The action dramatically reveals the law of
Conservation of Angular Momentum (CoAM) in action. Because as the ice skater
pulls in her extremities and her body begins spinning faster, this suggests
that the most likely equation that will explain the phenomenon will manifest
in two fundamental forms: (1) x/r or (2) x/r² where x remains a constant
value. In this case x is determined to be fixed value of time. As the value
of r, or radius, gets smaller, the equation causes the rate of spin (or
rotation) to increase for the same slice of time. By doing so the
conservation of the value of Angular Momentum. is maintained.

So, which of the above two equations is most likely to be the correct one?
Let's assume I have a weight attached to a central axis of a string which is
spinning at a constant rate. Let's assume that the length of that string,
the radius, r, is ten feet. Feet??? Not meters? Humor me!

Let's assume the weight makes a complete 360 degree sweep every four
seconds. How much time transpires while the string makes a sweep 30 degrees?
That can be approximated by the following formula:

[30 degrees * 4 seconds] / 360 degrees = 0.33333 seconds.

We can also determine the amount of approximate area swept for every 0.33333
seconds because we know that the area of a circle is determined by the
equation: p*r². In our case we would substitute the following values:

[30*pi*10feet²] / 360 degrees = 26.2 square feet.

CoAM dictates that, in our case, for every 0.3333 seconds for which the
weight is rotating through an area of 26.2 square feet accumulates. In order
for CoAM to be conserved a constant area of 26.2 square feet must always be
maintained no matter what the current radius might be.

So... which equation most likely one explains the spinning ice skater? Is it
x/r or is it x/r²? I finally stumbled across the answer to my conundrum when
I discovered another web site, KHANAcademy.org, where the Conservation of
angular momentum was explained to me in a whimsical way by an instructor who
did not take himself too seriously as he scribbling down a bunch of
equations on an electronic blackboard. See:

http://www.khanacademy.org/science/physics/v/conservation-of-angular-momemtu

The answer was finally revealed to me about 5 minutes into the instructors
webinar. There, on the screen he had scribbled out the following equation:

M*W*r^2 = constant

where:

M: Mass of the spinning object.
W: How fast the object is spinning:
r: the radius (distance) from the center of the spinning axis.

The value of r, the value of radius, is squared. It seemed to me that the
instructor almost snuck the power of "2" onto the end of radius r. It seemed
to me that he really didn't spend any time at all on explaining why the
value r needs to be squared. But no matter. I got my answer. Granted, one
should always take what one gets from the internet with a grain of salt.
However, I suspect that in this case it's probably safe to take the
instructor's formula as the right one...until proven otherwise.

Assuming radius, r, needs to be squared that means that in my case if the
string, the radius of our spinning weight, is slowly reeled in from an
initial distance of 10 feet to 5 feet CoAM dictates that the number of
degrees for which the weight will have to rotate through (for the same fixed
period of time) can be determined by using the following formula:

[30deg *pi*10feet²] / 360deg = [xdeg *pi*5feet²] / 360deg

We can systematically simplify the sequence of transformations as follows:

[30deg *pi*10feet²] = [xdeg *pi*5feet²]

[30deg *pi*10feet²] / [pi*5feet²] = x

[30deg * 10feet²] / [5feet²] = xdeg

30deg * 4 = xdeg

xdeg = 120 degrees

This means that when the radius of the string is shortened to 5 feet, in
order to maintain constant angular momentum, and incidentally the same
constant area of space, the number of degrees that one must sweep through
for the same period of time, has to adjusted to 120 degrees.

120 degrees makes sense as the value is the equivalent of mimicking the law
of inverse square of the distance, which ironically most of us should be
quite familiar: x/r². The same equation explains the effects of gravity as
well as lots of other phenomenon, like how the strength of electromagnetic
radiation (light and radiation) changes depending on the distance from the
source.

CONCLUSIONS:

What this exercise brought home to me was an unexpected bonus of insight. My
little journey of logic taught me the fact that the law of Conservation of
Angular Momentum appears to be virtually indistinguishable from the Inverse
Square of the Distance law. While many might accept such a revelation or
self-evident, so what's the big deal, what might not be as obvious is the
fact that Kepler's 2nd law which states, a line joining a planet and the Sun
sweeps out equal areas during equal intervals of time, literally seems to
play as much of an intimate part of explaining how CoAM works as it does in
explaining how the behavior of rotating planets behave. This was brought
home to me when during one of my prior analysis periods while studying the
effects of the 2nd law. I noticed that the 2nd law works just as well with a
satellite in a hyperbolic trajectory racing past a gravitational body. Not
only that, the 2nd law works just as well with a satellite traveling past a
body that exerts NO gravitational influences at all! Armed with these
revelations, it was not that much of a stretch for me to conjecture that
Kepler's 2nd law would probably also help explain how CoAM behaves.

At first glance making such a revelation might not make sense to some
because if you attempt to incorporate both the effects of gravity x/r² with
the effect of CoAM which also contains the same x/r² equation then wouldn't
both of these identical equations when combined tend to cancel each other
out? Wouldn't they cancel each other because the attractive forces of
gravity would be working in exact opposite to the centripetal forces
generated from the effects of CoAM? Miraculously, a cancellation of
influences does not happen! Why and how that doesn't happen is a fascinating
tale in its own right. It's a tale I have already touched on within the Vort
Collective, back around March of 2012. Some may recall that I posted a
thread where I mentioned the fact that some of my computer simulations
appeared to mimic the effects of Celestial Mechanics pertaining to the
distance a satellite would be predicted to be at if one charted the distance
the satellite as the value of y while simultaneously fixing a constant slice
of time as the value of x. In order to make everything line up the computer
simulation has to incorporate the following elements, where the first
element mimics the forces of gravity and the second equation mimics
centripetal forces:

y = x/r^2 - x/r^3

Again, I refer readers to the following post:

http://www.mail-archive.com/vortex-l@eskimo.com/msg64010.html

Generating such a plot tends to produce a top heavy bouncing ball kind of
sine wave. Nevertheless, it mimics the exact distance from the gravitation
body a satellite will be at, for any specific slice of time.

Woah! How did the negative element, x/r³, get into the equation? I suspect a
few smart Vorts, perhaps a few afflicted with the ADD gene, might be able to
figure that one out in due course. It is one of many goals I have set for
myself, to hopefully explain why x/r³ might help explain the nature and
shape of the elliptical orbit, such as a planet orbiting a star. Hopefully,
I'll be able to get around to the explanation after I overhaul my web site.

"Small steps, Sparks. Small steps."

Finally, my little journey has given me a greater appreciation for the
adventures that Andrea Rossi might have gone through as he accidentally
burnt his hand and in the process discovered an anomalous source of heat
from one of his experiments. I sometimes suspect that had Rossi been more
academically trained in matters of nuclear physics and/or chemistry it is
possible that the spurious heat source he stumbled across might have been
dismissed as nothing more than a careless mistake on his part. He might have
been more inclined to dismiss what his senses were telling him, what his
burned hand told him. His formal training would have "taught" him... drummed
out of him an almost naive-like willingness to entertain the possibility
that the affect he stumbled across could possibly be worth a second look.

It might also might help explain why many with impressive credentials with
formal academic training in physics and chemistry often seem to come up
empty-handed. They come up dry because formal training increases the chances
that they will continue to blind themselves. An occasional observation
hinting of an insignificant little anomaly that spuriously crops up in their
data would automatically be perceived nothing more than a mistake that would
best be ignored.

A revelation for me was the realization that being afflicted with just a
tiny-tiny bit if ignorance can occasionally... just occasionally be a very
good thing! Occasionally being somewhat ignorant of what is currently taught
in physics and chemistry can turn out to be the harbinger of unexpected
surprises and discoveries. You might be more inclined to forge your own
unique path to the City of Rome. You would be so inclined because you would
literally have no other choice but to forge your own path. By doing so you
may eventually stumble across observations that turn out to be revelatory,
observations and insights which mainstream academia had never seriously
considered. It all comes out of the simple fact that there would be more of
an innate willingness to smell each and every single plant one encounters in
a way where formal education would have paid less attention to. You would be
less inclined to dismiss some of the more subtle fragrances as nothing more
than another weed the textbooks had taught us long ago to ignore.

DISCLAIMER:

Final note. I don't mean to imply that my personal journey, my "discovery"
has not already been observed by many within academic and scientific
research fields. It's quite possible that what I posted here has already
been written up in a series of obscure text books that are currently
collecting dust in a basement of a university library. Nevertheless, what I
hope I was able to convey here was the joy that can be experienced in the
pursuit of a discovery, which in the greater scheme of things may actually
be nothing more than a re-discovery of a discovery. Nevertheless, that
doesn't take away from the fact that embarking on such journeys can
occasionally produce unexpected surprises - some with earth shattering
consequences.

Regards
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com