I did not quote the part that blames the disaster on Japanese culture:

"What must be admitted – very painfully – is that this was a disaster “Made
in Japan.” Its fundamental causes are to be found in the ingrained
conventions of Japanese culture: our reflexive obedience; our reluctance to
question authority; our devotion to ‘sticking with the program’; our
groupism; and our insularity.

Had other Japanese been in the shoes of those who bear responsibility for
this accident, the result may well have been the same."

This is asinine. It is like saying that the American public and our culture
is responsible for the idiotic mistakes described in the book "Fiasco: The
American Military Adventure in Iraq, 2003 to 2005." Or that any
administration would have made the same mistakes.

I will grant that course of events in gigantic fiascos such as the Iraq
war, Three Mile Island or Fukushima do tend to reveal cultural trends. TMI
played out differently from Chernobyl or Fukushima because of cultural
differences. Then too, the Titanic disaster both reflected and shaped the
Edwardian era, and it foreshadowed the unthinkably worse tragedy that soon
followed. But these events were caused by specific organizations and by
specific people, not by the zeitgeist. They might easily have been
prevented. If the Titanic had not hit the iceberg, or if all of the
passengers and crew had been rescued (as might easily have happened if only
the Californian captain had ordered the radio operator to turn on his set)
there would have been no tragedy and only a handful of people would
remember the Titanic.