http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSTm6cZjO14&feature=BFa&list=PLF48ACB853C81076A

Methane Hydrates: Natural Hazard or Natural Resource?

Ice cores from Antarctica show that the last five 100,000 year’s long ice
ages ended in less than a human lifetime. A trigger event produced a sharp
and sudden increase in global temperature.

The trigger event happened in three stages. This implies that the
triggering event was characterized by a cascade of a number of sequential
positive feedback loops.

IMHO, this trigger is the release of carbon from multi layered reservoir
like carbon storage structures in the oceans. The oceans of the world
contain 10,000 gigatons (*ten trillion,,,* 10e13,,, *ten to the thirteen,,,*
1,*000,000,000,000)* of Methane Hydrates. This accounts for twice as much
sequestered carbon as is locked up in all the buried fossil fuels currently
sequestered on earth.

If ocean temperatures and levels continue to raise, and more ice that also
contain CO2 continues to melt, massive amounts of methane gas could be
released from this 10,000 gigaton reserves of frozen methane that are
currently locked in the world’s  shallow ocean hydrate deposits and
permafrost. Passing this ocean temperature tipping point would result in a
rapid cascading global warming event that would be far worse and more rapid
than scientists’ current estimates. And the rise of global temperatures
would happen in 50 years more or less.

Just in the last few year, the parts per million level of methane in the
atmosphere as gone through the roof.

We could now be seeing the start of a major release of carbon from the
world’s oceans.

 Cheers:   Axil