I post this partly to annoy Joro Jaro, but mainly because it is hilarious,
especially #19.

I wish our politicians would say things like this. I wish they had
vocabularies half this good.



London Olympics 2012: here’s 20 jolly good reasons to feel cheerful about
the Games

. . .

6. We certainly didn’t spend the Beijing-style sums on fireworks -- since
the Chinese blew roughly the same amount as the British defence budget --
but we unquestionably had the same global éclat. . . .

7. The president of the International Olympic Committee, Jacques Rogge,
made a truly excellent speech, in which he paid tribute to the role of
Britain in either inventing or codifying the sports we celebrate at the
Olympics. Only a small proportion of his speech was in French. . . .

16. The Olympics are proving to be a boost to tattoo parlours. Plenty of
people seem to want their thighs inscribed with “Oylimpics 2012” and other
ineradicable mis-spellings. . . .

19. As I write these words there are semi-naked women playing beach
volleyball in the middle of the Horse Guards Parade immortalised by
Canaletto. They are glistening like wet otters and the water is plashing
off the brims of the spectators’ sou’westers. The whole thing is
magnificent and bonkers.


- Jed

Reply via email to