CE,

Localizing the wave function of a proton (or an electron), i.e., making it
more narrow --- for instance,

                                      +--+
                                      |  |
                 ______               |  |
                /      \              |  |
               /        \             |  |
going from ___/          \___  to  ___|  |___

changes the energy spectrum of the particle wave function so that it
possesses more high energy components, so that it is more likely to climb
potential barriers.  The first wave function has a more "certain" energy
spectrum, concentrated at lower energies.  The second wave function has a
less certain, wider energy spectrum - with spread into the higher
energies.

I could be wrong, but I do not think that the paper is referring to energy
uncertainty of the entire lattice.

-- LP