Jeff Berkowitz wrote:

                Yet at the same time, we have an example: the terminology
change from NMR to MRI. It was significant from perspective of consumer
acceptance, and therefore it was economically significant. If we believe
LENR will be incorporated in consumer products, then words probably do
matter.

The oddest coincidence about this particular "terminology" observation in
the context of nickel, is that if some version of "nano-magnetism" is found
to be at the basis of the Ni-H thermal anomaly, it will surely be very
closely related to NMR.

Going further, it is probably no accident that the "other metal" recently
associated with thermal gain with confined hydrogen, (when in the
nano-geometry) is cobalt, which is ferromagnetic.

The reason that iron, the third and of the 3 ferromagnetic metals, does not
readily catalyzed thermal gain in nano-confinement, is probably related to
the relative ease of "hydrogen embrittlement" in iron.

Once again, this alignment of facts with nickel and cobalt and
nano-magnetism - points to a bosonic process and to cavity QED.

Could it be that the Casimir cavity functions mainly to increase the
lifetime (and increase the rate) of diproton (2He) stability like it does
with tritium (Reifenschweiler effect)? BTW - the diproton is bosonic, but
normally the lifetime is extremely short.

That kind of "confinement stability" would satisfy almost all of the
objections associated with the suggestion that what we see in Ni-H is
basically the first step in the solar reaction - where P+P -> 2He, but
instead of beta decay to deuterium (which is far too rare) or elastic
scattering, we find instead that the gain in the decay dynamics relates to
charge (Coulomb) repulsion.

Interesting astrophysics paper on diproton stability, and the implications
for the 'big picture'.

http://www.ias.ac.in/jaa/jun2009/JAA0008.pdf

BTW - In elastic scattering, the kinetic energy of the protons is conserved.
In inelastic scattering, which is the way a 2He process would appear to the
outside observer, some of the energy of the incident particle can be lost or
gained or transferred. Coulomb repulsion can supply the gain in a proximate
sense, but in an ultimate accounting - atomic mass would need to be
converted to energy.