At 03:02 PM 9/25/2012, Jed Rothwell wrote:
Alan J Fletcher <<mailto:a...@well.com>a...@well.com> wrote:

The NRL recently repeated the Arata experiment several hundred times in a row with automated equipment, completely degassing the samples between runs. It worked every time. So I do not see why you say that nothing has changed.

(Got a quick link to the paper? -- too lazy to search !! )

That was Kidwell et al. at ICCF15. Kidwell insisted it was chemical, especially in the Proceedings paper which came out after I wrote that. I disagreed then, and still do. See:

<http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/KidwellDdoesgasloa.pdf>http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/KidwellDdoesgasloa.pdf

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/ViolanteVproceeding.pdf

They described a lot more about it at ICCF17. Kidwell finally agrees it is anomalous.

Okay, an anomaly. Very important point: anomaly does not equal cold fusion. It means something unexplained.

If the level of heat is high, it may indicate a nuclear effect. I don't think that is the case here. The heat is simply unexplained.

However, I keep virtually banging my head against the wall. There is very likely a way to know, with certainty, that PdD heat is nuclear in origin. Measure helium. Arata apparently did that, though lots of Arata results seem hard to find.

They did not measure helium, though they did many experiments. Helium measurement is tricky, but should have been accessible to them.

If they are getting heat such that there should be measurable helium, from anywhere near 24 MeV/He-4, and they *don't* find helium, it would be quite suspicious, given what we know about PdD LENR. It would be a first, quite a remarkable result all on its own.

Why was this not done?

When I became involved with cold fusion, I found that the full significance of heat/helium seemed to be overlooked, and great confidence and attention was placed on calorimetry alone. I'm not knocking the calorimetry, but one of the important values of helium measurement is that it confirms that the heat is coming from a nuclear source, and it roughly validates the calorimety. As we accumulate experience with helium capture and measurement in these experiments, it could become quite an accurate confirmation.