Alain Sepeda <alain.sep...@gmail.com> wrote:

> what is the probable color of the congress, and your prediction. will it
> be the same or not?

I predict the same as now: the House will be Republican and the Senate
Democratic. Most people make the same prediction, including the Langley
High School 12th-grade government classes:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/opinions/outlook-crystal-ball-contest/

> As I understand, a president without the congress cannot do much, not even
> what his opponent would have done...

In the past this was not a problem. Many presidents, such as Nixon, worked
effectively with a Democratic majority in both the House and Senate. In the
post-WWII era, most Representatives had served in the military and this
make them less partisan. In recent decades partisanship has increased a
great deal. In the Senate the use of the "filibuster" has increased from
one or two occasions per year to ~100 to ~140 per year. This is a method
used by the minority to block legislation not supported by 60% of Senators,
instead of a simple majority. I think it should be abolished.

Here is a graph of filibusters:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/post/the-history-of-the-filibuster-in-one-graph/2012/05/15/gIQAVHf0RU_blog.html