Thorium itself cannot be used directly. Natural thorium is mostly composed
of a single isotope, Th-232, that is only fertile, not fissile. Use of
thorium in a power reactor or weapon requires that the natural Th-232 be
transmuted within an already-operating reactor to U-233, which is fissile.
This "breeding" of U-233 is analogous to the way plutonium is "bred" in a
reactor from natural uranium.

The difference is that in addition to the merely-fertile U-238, natural
uranium contains a nontrivial amount of fissile U-235 which can be
extracted (at significant expense) and used directly to make weapons. With
thorium, the only path to weapons-grade material requires an operating
reactor to produce fertile U-233 by transmutation. This requirement for an
operating reactor makes the process much easier for the international
community to monitor, among other things.

U-233 is known to be suitable for weapons use - there is one document
example of the U.S. building and successfully detonating a weapon with a
U-233 "pit" (bomb core). So it's false to say that the thorium fuel cycle
is completely "weapons material clean." But I think it's true to say that
the risk of weapons proliferation is lower compared to starting with U.

I found this document which has everything you could ever want to know
about this - although wikipedia seems good enough to answer almost any "lay
person" question in this case.
http://www-pub.iaea.org/mtcd/publications/pdf/te_1450_web.pdf

Jeff