On Nov 22, 2012, at 3:15 AM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The building is reportedly stronger, and more earthquake proof than
> conventional buildings would be, and despite that it takes less material to
> make.

I would say that it is more resilient _because_ it takes less material to make.
Lightweight steel frame is flexible and thus it can absorb the Earth quake
energy. It is similar to that that electric cars are far simpler than internal
combustion engine cars, therefore Tesla Model S is the safest production car
and its performance and cornering ability are superior. Less is more as it is
said.

For vertical farms this is indeed very good technology. And although I predict
more anti-urbanisation due to reduced need for farmland, the transition period
will take some decades, so meanwhile this technology can offer decent quality
home for millions of people especially in China and India.

Anyway, right now vertical farming is one of the most important existing
technologies that should be developed commercially more viable, because current
agriculture is unsustainable. 98 % of anthropogenic land use is due to
traditional agriculture. Vertical farming is similar in importance to solar
electricity, electric cars and reusable launch vehicles.

For the vertical farming technology, the key improvement is of course the
development of cheaper energy production methods and better LED's. Solar energy
is the number one short term solution, because solar energy is the most
abundant and cheapest free energy source. Solar electricity should be cheaper
than fossil and hydroelectric power by early 2020's.

―Jouni