I believe you are right.  Vacuum Energy = Dark Energy and is the entropy
all curled up in those extra dimensions available through weak
interactions.  The weak anthropic principle says that areas of spacetime
where vacuum/dark energy is above a threshold value is prohibitive to life
flourishing.  We live in a region of spacetime where the density is in a
tolerable range. Its density varies throughout the universe and in a given
region over time.  During the Ice Ages/Dark Ages vacuum/dark energy was
high because it sucked energy away from regular matter (in a hurry) due to
large dark matter nuclei in our region.

Stewart
darkmattersalot.com