As the comments on the posting suggest, it seems (in hindsight) a mistake
that MFMP chose to accept Celani's recommendation of building the cell from
quartz for safety reasons. The safety issues could have been addressed with
additional shielding and the only consequence would have been modest
inconvenience in working around the lab setup.

A corollary is that everything I've ever heard about Celani makes me think
he is a really wonderful man. He must have guessed the change would
complicated matters but he still put the safety of experiments first even
at a critical juncture. I admire him very much and I wish I could meet him.

Jeff