David,

The following paper presents (literally) a toy example of extracting
energy from a static magnetic field:

"A Magnetic Linear Accelerator"
http://www.physics.princeton.edu/~mcdonald/examples/lin_accel.pdf

It provides a simple formula illustrating conversion of magnetic field
energy to kinetic energy.  While it does not completely answer your
excellent question, it's a starting point.

-- Lou Pagnucco