Eric Walker wrote:
If the mass of an orbiting satellite is sufficient to deflect the incoming asteroid, I doubt the asteroid is big enough to do much upon impact. If the asteroid is big enough to do much, I doubt the mass of a satellite would deflect it even by a small amount.

I agree. Bear in mind that most satellites are light objects because rocket payloads are small. Most satellites are about 1 ton (1000 kg) I think. A 50 m asteroid weights approximately 200,000 tons, according to Deep Space Industries, Inc. I think asteroids are considered dangerous when the size is 30 to 50 m.