I'm probably going to make a few enemies, but the deniers of global warming
(skeptic is too kind, Contrarian is more like it) really need to head over
to NOAA.gov or Climate.gov and see what all of many
different satellite data are showing.   First, let's answer Craig's
comments about not knowing if CO2 was from man burning fossil fuels or
something.  Some people have the mistaken idea that atmospheric CO2 can
come from other places, like space.  The total amount of carbon in earth is
actually fix.  The total amount neither increases or decreases.   It's just
that it moves from on place to another.  It's either sequestered in the
earth in the form of carbon based minerals, fossil fuels, shale, coal...
etc, or its biomass on the earth's surface and oceans, or it is CO2 uptake
into the oceans, or lastly it's in the air.   I'm describing what is called
the Carbon Cycle.   Wikipedia has nice entry about the carbon cycle that is
worth a good read if you want to talk about global warming and understand
all of the issue.  There are sources of CO2 and sinks of CO2.   The
interesting point about the carbon cycle is that of millions of years, the
carbon cycle has not really changed much in it's amounts up until the
1950's

So when we are talking global warming from CO2, we mainly are referring to
atmospheric CO2 levels.  There are naturals sources of CO2, like Volcanoes,
wild fires, and ocean out gassing.   The source-to-sink was balanced
with atmospheric CO2 levels from 170ppmv to 289ppmv.  So for millions of
years, CO2 has been less than 300ppm until 1950, the era of Big Oil, Coal,
Gas.  From 1950 to present, CO2 levels have skyrocketed from 289 to 396ppmv
(part per million volume).   Everything is the same except, burning massive
amounts of fossil fuels.   And it is massive; 362.7 kilograms of C02
produced per barrel of oil; or 0.3627 Tons of CO2 per barrel of Oil.  So
more than 1/3 of a ton per barrel of crude oil.  Coal is even better; it
produces 3.7 tons of CO2 per ton of coal (the extra tonnage comes from the
2 oxygen atoms that are pulled
from the air during combustion).  A 1 ppmv rise in global atmospheric CO2
is equivalent to 7.82 Gigatons (billion tons) of additional atmospheric
CO2.  Since 1950, that comes out to just about 900 BILLION TONS of
ADDITIONAL atmospheric CO2 in just 63 Years!

The deniers must believe in Unicorns and pixie dust if they think they can
account for that amount of CO2 without it coming from fossil fuels.   So to
the climate deniers out there, how do you explain the build up of an
additional 900Gigatons of CO2 since 1950?
http://chartsgraphs.wordpress.com/2009/09/11/co2-emissions-changes-in-atmospheric-levels/

Next question, we know the CO2 is a green house so how does that directly
effect global warming.   This is best explained in a diagram;

http://www.ucsusa.org/assets/images/gw/heattrapping-gases-faq.PNG
http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming (an excellent source of real sicence).

>From wikipedia "Solar radiation at the frequencies of visible light largely
passes through the atmosphere to warm the planetary surface, which then
emits this energy at the lower frequencies of infrared thermal radiation.
Infrared radiation is absorbed by greenhouse gases, which in turn
re-radiate much of the energy to the surface and lower atmosphere."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhouse_effect

The bottom line is that there a plenty of examples of the greenhouse gas
effect, from the planet Venus, to your friendly little terrarium that your
kids might have.  CO2 concentration is a major player in the efficiency of
the heat trapping.   So it is very logical to see the connection between
CO2 concentrations and gobal average temperature. A simple extrapolation of
current data gives this nice little linear equation, the predicted temp is
about 10.31 degreeC + (0.0114 degreeC /ppmv).

The bottom line is I just don't understand the thinking of the Global
Warming Deniers, the contrarians.   Global Warming is so blatantly obvious
in the data, observations, theory and models that the only reason I can
think that anyone would argue against it's reality is someone being paid to
do so.   Either that or your just a plain gullible person.

Of course, I should add humorously that that is what some people think of
cold fusion too, but we all know they are wrong.

Best Regards,
Chuck

--------