On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 11:08 AM, <pagnu...@htdconnect.com> wrote:

While it discusses the extreme focusing of ~1 MeV proton wave-functions,
> perhaps particles/ions in micro-/nano-channels in zeolites,
> nano-crevices, nanostructures, ..., experience more wave-function
> focusing than expected - possibly increasing tunneling probability
> by dramatically increasing overlap of channel particle wave-functions.

Ron Maimon was getting at a similar idea by having two deuterons meet near
a palladium spectator nucleus, at the classical turning point where the
strength of the positive charge of the palladium nucleus would push the
positively charged deuterons back out again.  With 20 keV of initial
kinetic energy, the deuterons would penetrate the electron shells as far as
the K shell before turning around again.  At the turning point their de
Broglie waves would be "enhanced,", or, presumably, focused, and as a
result overlap and tunneling would be more likely.

Several significant difficulties with this approach were raised which have
not yet been brought to Ron's attention.  Presumably he would set us
straight on what I misunderstood of what he was saying.

Eric